This blog piece Ten Ways to Become a Great Mentor by INSEAD Business School graduate, Martin Hall reflects many of our best practice tips for mentors.
He writes that a great mentor is able to lead their mentee with empathy, sensitivity and patience, while constantly adapting to changing times and circumstances.
His ten ‘rules’ for mentors include:
1. Be a complete role model
2. Be empathetic
3. Help in evolving strengths and diluting weaknesses
4. Listen effectively and deeply – (recommend: Everything you need to know to become a better listener)
5. Be open-minded
6. Have great patience
7. Display commitment
8. Educating and passing on
9. Be privy to the personal side
10. Tailor advice to circumstances
- Read the full blog piece – Ten Ways to Become a Great Mentor.
- Other recommended reading for mentors: Keeping the right mindset, Harvard Business Review by Amy Gallo. While this article is directed to coaches wanting to develop or upskill their employees, the fundamentals around having an open-mind, clarity of goals and a fresh perspective to every session equally applies to mentors and valuable mentoring.